News and Information
Tennis Block Party June 5 ... Get into the swing of things at a Tennis Block Party, June 5, offering fun activities, food, drink, music -- all to draw attention to the exciting new program at the Coral Reef Tennis Center. Rentals are managed by the Village; programming is now coordinated by FOMT. Call 305-582-8805 or email for details.
Summer Camp 2011 ... Kids can spend their summer in the Village of the Parks, by attending our popular Summer Camp, replete with exciting field trips, activities, and rad/KIDS, a personal empowerment safety education program. For information and to register, contact the Parks Administration office or call call 305-259-1234.
Senior Program Success ... Due to the popularity of our senior-exercise classes, Baptist Health has is providing an additional “Trim-n-Fit Over 55” segment. The new noon hour class immediately follows the existing 11 a.m. - noon class. Classes are Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Enjoy some quiet time at Coral Reef Park's latest addition,
the Ken Robinson Meditation Garden.
The Only Park Allowing Dogs ... happens to be one of the best parks for dogs in the entire County. But please ntoe, Perrine Wayside Dog Park closes the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month
until noon for scheduled maintenance.
We love your pooch but please refrain from walking your pet at any other Village park than the Dog Park, for obvious health and safety reasons -- thank you. We've also got a Facebook page for Dog park users.
Village Park Facilities; Explore the Outdoors!
Please click on the park name to explore each facility.
About Parks and Recreation
The Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for the planning, organizing, supervising, directing and administering of all activities related to parks and recreation, special events and community outreach programs. To that extent, the Department directs and coordinates the installation and maintenance of park facilities including park structures and landscaped areas in the parks, prepares bid specifications and project cost estimates for park maintenance outsource contracts, and administers all aspects of said contracts.
The Parks and Recreation Department manages the Village of Palmetto Bay system of local and regional parks which create a compilation of beautiful park facilities. Ranging from serene to active, educational to recreational, and relaxing to exercising, the parks offer a myriad of rewarding activities for all to enjoy.
The "Village of Parks" is home to seven recreational facilities, including the beautiful Charles Deering Estate and Bill Sadowski Park, which are managed by Miami-Dade County.
The Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for the planning, organizing, supervising, directing and administering of all activities related to parks and recreation, special events and community outreach programs.
The specific goals of the Department are to:
- Enhance parks safety and security during special events, home games, tournaments and before and after hours.
- Seek professional development for Director in all aspects of municipal government and continue to grow all parks and recreation personnel.
- Enhance recruitment of professional parks and recreation staff.
- Continue to seek sponsorships and donations for programming, special events and enhancement of parks.
- Expand in house recreational programming.
- Explore best practices to efficiently and fiscally operate and manage multiple concessions.
- Continue to enhance parks grounds & turf using professional in house staff, developing specific maintenance programs.
- Continue to support Village “Green Initiatives” through commitment to environmental education and conservation.
- Continue to promote and require attendance of management personnel to attend state and national conferences to keep up with certifications and industry initiatives.
- Continue to encourage the cooperation between the village and neighborhood schools.
- Continue to seek innovative and creative ways to improve on operations & expenditures, and look for ways to increase revenue.
- Continue to work with Public Works, PIO, and Police to enhance, promote and protect our park facilities.
- Promote and enhance communications emphasizing the importance of prioritizing and time management.
- Continue to work with contractors/vendors to enhance and repair park facilities.
Forms and Documents
- FEE SCHEDULE: Park Facilities and Photography Fees
- ORDINANCE: Park Rules & Regulations
Staff and Contact Information
Village Department of Parks & Recreation (305) 259-1234
Fanny Carmona-Gonzalez, Parks and Recreation Director
Josie Bober, Parks and Recreation Administrative Assistant
Kirk Hearin, Parks and Recreation Manager
Valentin Garcia, Grounds/Facility Maintenance Supervisor
Wayne Silvestro, Parks and Recreation Supervisor
Mary S. Fernandez, Program & Events Coordinator
For party rental information, please visit the Facility Rentals
Miami-Dade County Library - Palmetto Bay Branch (305) 232-1771